A little bit of book love feeds the soul and these clever art prints from Degree are inspired by our ravenous paperback consumption. “We wade through them on beaches, we devour them on picnics, we go forth with them on the road,” or so the blurb goes. Using a vintage suitcase, beach towel and picnic blanket as the settings, these prints evoke classic paperbacks without infringing and that oh so litigious little penguin. The ingenious execution, bang-on tones and lack of text make these the perfect print for book lovers and dodgers alike. Is anyone else hungry? Available from Degree for €35.
Fighting over the quilt, slamming your head on the bedside locker after being sleep-shoved out of bed, landing in dirty socks; ah, the gentle bliss of living with your loved one. All’s fair in love and war until somebody loses their slice of the blanket…then all bets are off. Here are ten bed sets that will help your bedtime feel like less of a battleground…unless you’re into that kind of thing.
1. Yes, No, Maybe pillowcases(€52, Minna’s Room). Make your message loud and clear and get exactly what you want with these hanky panky pillowcases…or just throw them in the air and let destiny decide.
2. Seven Deadly Sins pillowcases (€32, Dustys and Lulu). Option 1 a little too discrete? Then get to the point with Dustys and Lulu’s sinful pillowcases. Other options include Shouty, Fatty, Angry and Slutty so your every mood is covered.
3. Make Love Not War duvet set (Miss Geschick and Lady Lapsus). Sharing is caring so put an end to the your-side-my-side debate with this 50/50 duvet cover. The gun, alas, is not included but highly recommended.
4. Buon Appetito duvet cover (Miss Geschick and Lady Lapsus). Nobody should be kicked out of bed for eating biscuits. Nobody. Luckily the clever folks at Miss Geschick and Lady Lapsus have created this duvet cover/napkin that allows you eat a full Sunday roast between the sheets if you want to, without ruining the bed. About bloody time.
5. Doodle duvet cover (from €55, Doodle and Stitch). Now this is my kind of duvet cover. The notepad print is awesome in it’s own right but throw in the possibility of writing lovey, lusty or don’t-forget-the-milky notes and you have the perfect bed linen for busy couples. Simply pop it into the wash and you have clean slate to write on all over again. Something like ‘seriously, remember to bring home some goddamn milk‘, perhaps?
6. Love Birds pillow cases (€25, Xeno Tees). Let the shenanigans commence with these Love Birds pillowcases. They say the secret to a happy relationship is never going to bed angry and I’m guessing that a few minutes spent chirping at each other in bed would ease the tension. If that doesn’t work, invent your own version of Angry Birds.
7. Happiness In Bed duvet cover (€264, Happiness In Bed). With built-in sleeves to keep your arms warm while you read, this ingenious duvet set has got loved-up bookworms covered. Well, anything that staves off the need for the powerfully contraceptive Slanket is good in my book.
8. My Side Your Side pillowcase (€37, Cushions Covered). Forget compromising, mark your territory early with these pillowcases and put your partner in their place. And yes, you can buy two My Sides if you want…that should help clear up any misunderstandings.
9. Twister Duvet Set (€100, Ebay). Having originally started out as a Mexican ad for Viagra, the Twister duvet set has turned into one of the most sought after bedroom accessories since, well, Viagra. It may take a little hunting (Ebay is your best bet) but a few rounds of naked Twister is probably equal to a decade of couples counselling.
10. Blandito Transformable Pad (from €415, Blandito). Admittedly this isn’t bed linen, but how often have you looked at your lunchtime burrito and wished you could just climb on in? Well, now you can. Kind of. These transformable pads wrap you and your amigo up like little donkeys for some seriously spicy snuggling. Is this what they mean by Food Porn?